TINA’S VEGETARIAN CHILI RECIPE
Parishioner Tina Fisher is a busy person, besides her job at Just Children, she is very involved with the Boy Scouts. As the mother of three boys, her life can be chaotic, but she still finds the time to practice a vegetarian lifestyle and below is one of her favorite recipes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chili peppers, drained
- 2 (12 ounce) packages vegetarian burger crumbles
- 3 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and season with bay leaves, cumin, oregano, and salt. Cook and stir until onion is tender, then mix in the celery, green bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, and green chili peppers. When vegetables are heated through, mix in the vegetarian burger crumbles. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 5 minutes.
If you would like to become part of Assumption’s ‘Hospitality’ team, please email Nora at email@example.com.