Nigerian Jollof Rice
Florence is one of our parishioners whose native country is Nigeria. She graciously prepares this dish and brings it to some of the hospitality events held in our parish hall.
- 2 cups parboiled rice
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 2-4 oz. canola or vegetable oil
- 1 whole onion
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 habanero (chili) peppers
- 2- 6 oz. cans tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1-2 tbsp. thyme
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. ground ginger
- 5 pieces bay leaf
- 2 Knorr stock cubes
- Salt to taste
- Blend peppers and onions together (blender or food processor) – set aside.
- Mix tomato paste with water in blender – set aside.
- In large sauce pan, pour oil, sliced onion, Knorr cubes, curry, and remaining spice ingredients.
- Stir in butter.
- Pour blended peppers and tomato paste into pot and add some water.
- Rinse starch out of rice until water is clean looking.
- Pour rinsed rice into sauce pan.
- Cover sauce pan with tin foil and then pot lid.
- Steam cook for 30 minutes checking to see if more water is needed.
- After 30-35 minutes, remove from heat, mix well, and serve.