- 13 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ cup Irish Cream Liqueur, Bailey’s or equivalent
- 1 cup whipping cream, well chilled
- ½ cup whipping cream, beaten to stiff peaks to top each serving
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- Bittersweet chocolate shavings to garnish
1. Heat 13 tablespoons of sugar and ½ cup of water in a small, heavy saucepan, swirling until sugar dissolves.
2. Increase heat and boil until syrup registers 240oF (soft-ball stage) on a candy thermometer.
3. Beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until stiff but not dry. Beat in remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
4. Pour boiling syrup into whites in a thin stream, beating until cool. This needs to be done slowly to avoid cooking eggs.
5. Add Irish cream liqueur and continue beating.
6. Whip chilled cream to soft peaks.
7. Fold whipped cream into meringue-Irish cream liqueur mixture.
8. Spoon into parfait glasses and freeze at least 4 hours (can be prepared the night before).
9. Just before serving, top each with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.